Another one from grandma’s recipe book! Send your loved ones home with a savoury midnight snack courtesy of a thank you bag filled with scones. They’re best made no earlier than the day before so get a couple of buddies around to help (and share a wine with while you’re at it).
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
3 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter (melted)
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh rosemary
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup skim milk
Small muslin bags
Letter stamps + ink
1. First, take your muslin bags (we scored ours on eBay) and stamp your thank you message onto the front. kikki.K sell a great range of greeting and alphabet stamps. On a budget? Make your kindergarten teacher proud by whipping up a potato stamp. Simply cut the roundest potato you can find in half and scratch your message onto the flat side with a needle or pencil. Scrape away the excess potato to reveal your message and ink accordingly.
2. To make your scones pre-heat the oven to 180 C. Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add herbs, butter, cheese and milk to the mix and stir until combined.
3. Knead lightly on a floured surface (don’t forget to take your engagement ring off first) until you have a nice fluffy ball of dough sitting in front of you.
4. Roll the dough out with your rolling pin until it’s about 2cm thick then using a small circle cutter, cut out your soon-to-be-scones and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
5. Brush the tops with a little whisked egg. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until until the scones are a light golden brown.
6. Leave to cool and pop a couple into each bag. Display in one big box, or place a bag at each guests’ table setting.
SPECIAL NOTE: For more scones just multiply the recipe. You may also choose to make each batch smaller or larger. If so, just adjust the cooking times, checking as you go to ensure they are golden brown up top.