This week we are all kinds of excited to welcome Rachael McMahon back to the Hello May blog! If you didn’t already know, Rachael hails from New Zealand, is a massive foodie and all round lovely lady and she has been guest blogging here at Hello May once a month for a little while now.
Some of you may know Rach as the brains behind Made From Scratch, a lifestyle blog that covers everything from home decor, style and of course delicious recipes, but once a month she has been swinging by to share an exclusive recipe of the don’t-mind-if-I-do-have-a-second-helping nature.
Each month Rach shares a delicious new recipe with us that will help you create a dessert bar worthy of the most awesome DIY wedding. First up she kicked things off with this sweet as Pumpkin Pie, then she made our mouths water with this delicious Strawberry and Apple Pie and today she brings us none other than a…
CHOCOLATE + PEANUT BUTTER TART
1/3 cup powdered (icing) sugar 2 teaspoons ground almonds Pinch of salt
1/4 cup (57g) butter, softened
1 cup plain flour, sifted
1. In a large bowl break the egg and beat it with a fork. Add the sugar, ground almonds, ground cinnamon and the salt to the beaten egg. Beat with a wooden spoon/spatula until the mixture turns pale yellow and frothy. Cut the butter into very small pieces and set aside.
2. Pour all of the sifted flour into the egg mixture and mix quickly with the spatula. Then rub the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles wet sand – only just sticking together.
3. Place the mixture onto a well-floured bench, dot with the chopped butter and knead with your hands to combine the butter. Form the dough into a ball, wrap with cling wrap and allow to chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Preheat oven to 160°C, butter and flour a 20cm pie dish. On a well floured bench roll our your prepared dough to around 1/2 cm thick, then carefully place into the prepared dish. Line the pastry with crumbled baking paper and pour in either rice or pie weights – blind bake the pastry for around 15 min, or until the edges are starting to golden. Allow to cool completely before removing the baking paper – otherwise you’ll tear the pastry.
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Filling
300ml pouring cream
250g good quality milk or dark chocolate
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste – or 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
50g unsalted butter
1. Place the cream, chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla and butter into a medium sauce ban and gently bring to a light simmer, continue to stir until the butter and chocolate have melted and the mixture starts to thicken.
2. Once thickened remove from heat and allow to cool for around 10min – you can continue to stir the mixture if you like.
3. Pour into your prepared tart shell and place in the fridge for around 1-2 hours or until set. Slice into generous portions and enjoy.
CREDITS Photos and recipe Made From Scratch.