Twinkle, twinkle little star, my what a beautiful cake topper you are. Admittedly we’re suckers for a healthy dose of DIY but these glittery cake toppers are easy peasy. Seriously. Just a few simple steps and voila! Your cake is transformed into a delicious, sparkly dessert for just a couple of bucks. A great option if you’re having more than one cake too! Click here for the actual cake recipe
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
1. Cut the wooden skewers to different lengths. You can use as many or as few as you like, depending on the size of your cake. Although it’s always a good idea to make extra, just in case.
2. Cut out your star templates (these are available for free on the Internet, just Google ‘star template’ and print out whichever ones you like best). We recommend using a range of sizes. Also remember you will need two templates per star, as you’ll be gluing them back to back.
3. Trace each star onto a sheet of cardboard (white or black is probably best) and carefully cut them out.
4. Place newspaper onto your workspace and glue together two equally sized stars making sure the top part of the wooden skewer is in the middle.
5. Now, this is where the glitter comes in so make sure you’re not wearing your favourite outfit, this stuff likes to stick. Paint each star with glue (a good quality craft glue is ideal), making sure you don’t miss any spots and sprinkle a generous amount of glitter on both sides.
6. Leave to dry for approximately 20 mins.
7. Arrange on top of your cake however you’d like and give yourself a great big pat on the back.
TOP TIP: Feel free to be a little adventurous. Don’t like gold and silver? Use pink and purple instead. There’s no right or wrong. Not keen on stars? Use hearts if your feeling a little lovey dovey.
CREDITS Photos and styling The Loves Ones.